Sunday, October 01, 2006

Monthly Goal: $4.000 - I only made $2.253

If you havn't been following my blog, most of this month has been spent in Malta and Denmark vacationing. That is why I set myself a modest goal for the month. The sad part is I came in short.

I'd like to blame bad beats or cold cards for my shortcommings, but I can't. The only reason I didn't make it, is because I didn't play enough poker.
With this in mind I'd like to set my monthly goal for October at a reachable level. Offcourse I plan on making some non monetary goals, such as playing more $5/10, but I feel a totally materialistic goal is a sweet thing to aim for aswell. I think $12.000 seems reachable and will be a challenge aswell.

I have learned a couple of things this month.
Firstly I don't loos much training by taking a vacation. I don't forget what I know in two weeks of inactivity. But my bad beat/tilt tolerance gets somewhat out of practice.
Secondly I believe that a player can greatly reduce the effects of variance through training. Some good players have bad runs that last months, others seem never to even have a negative day. This offcourse has to do with the style each player has and the skill he has of avoiding variance.

I sometimes sit at a table with a superior player than me, but after the session I am ahead in winnings. I have played worse but more profitable poker.
The superior player concentrates on outplaying me by mixing up his game and studying my betting patterns and at the end of the day perhaps he has won $50 from me. Meanwhile I have been trying to steer clear of him and instead focusing my energy on the 4 bad players at the table winning $200 from them.

No comments: