Monday, February 05, 2007

February 5th - A turn for the worse.

Monthly goal: $10.000
I am at -$555
Change: -$750


I am not off to the start I was hoping for this month. Yesterday I was looking forward to writing about my $1.400 win, but today's session left me more than $2.000 in the red.

The reason I usually post the hands where I make a mistake, is because I think it will help my play. But this month, I think posting the biggest pots I play instead will help me more.

AA in the Cut Off: The call wasn't easy on the flop, but I was pretty sure this player would have slowplayed a set, so I figured that a draw was very likely.
This pot is a decent months salary here in Faroe Islands.

T9s in the Small Blind: I was very sure he had a flushdraw on this flop and that he would bet it on the turn.

QQ from Under the Gun: This one kind of sucked.

I feel OK about the ups and downs. So far the big hands haven't bothered me that much, not yet. I am able to go about my daily life without constantly thinking about how much I could have won if the cards fell differently.

As much as I hope I'll get a break and be able to reap some much needed profit from my play. I more so hope that I will be able to not be bothered by the next big loss I will inevitably face this month.

3 comments:

Rói said...

You played all of those hands absolutely PERFECTLY! :)

The only one I can point fingers on is the QQ one, but you probably had reads in that one.

Anonymous said...

The AA hand sucked for sure. The QQ hand was annoying, hard to forsee how the turn helped him with the prior action.

My real question or comment is the T9s hand. First pre-flop.
1. Why reraise with T9s out of position? Seem to remember you lecturing me on building a big pot, with a drawing hand, out of position.
2. I know you want to play as low-variance as possible, why not either lead out with a push on the turn or check/call it? In the actual hand he has 12 outs (+6 split that he might count as live), which means he becomes forced to call your check/push. He is getting getting 565/1977~ 28.5% pot odds and is e.g. 34% vs KT and 30% vs a set, which he surely must count as his worst case senarios. It's not that you whern't ahead on the turn, but your play made for a high variance move as his call is correct.

Unknown said...

There are LAGs who raise every button and every cut-off. I usually counter it by re-raising more lightly out of the blinds.

Most often I wait for Axs or a pocket pair to re-raise with, but if I don't get those cards I can re-raise with a hand like T9s.

I don't think there is much value in it, either positive or negative. And it surely creates more variance. But the value comes from getting raised less often in the blinds and getting paid off when I re-raise with big hands.

I haven't been in this particular situation often before. So I don't know how to play it by heart. I just had a very strong read that he had a flush draw on the flop. So in that instant I figured check/raising the turn would be the best play.

I haven't done the math, but I don't think check/calling or open pushing are more profitable plays.