Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Update on the bad run - Still on break for a couple of days more

I have been running very bad these last two weeks. Mostly I have played well, but the cards haven't been cooperating.

Running badly in poker is very though and there isn't really a way to explain how it feels.
Matt Damon did a better job of acting it out in Rounders after he lost $30.000 to Teddy KGB, than I could do of writing about it. His character suffered his loss in one hand, where my losses have cumulated slowly each day over two weeks.

Matt Damon's character also reacts differently to loosing than I do, he focuses mostly on the money and seeks comfort from fellow poker players that understand to a point what he is going through.
I focus mostly on mistakes I make and the futility luck makes of the effort I put into poker each day. In the past I would write about it and try to talk to people about what I was going through, but unlike in the movies people don't understand how you feel and more importantly they don't care.

Each time I hang out with my friends or do something with my family, I get asked how poker is going. People really aren't looking for a bad beat tale, they just want to small talk and asking about poker is a good subject for small talk.
It does however remind me of my loss. And each loosing hand and each drawout again weigh heavy on my mind. Before I go to bed I usually watch some TV and the reason I am on a break from blogging, is because I don't want to stir up the memory of the days loss again before I go to sleep.

What I am hoping for is a good session or two that will bring me back to even. It will feel much better writing again, if the numbers can be in green. The best cure for a bad run, is without any doubt a good win.
At this point of writing I am down about $3.000 for the month.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HELLO MAD ROUNDER,

I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING YOUR BLOG FOR QUITE SOME TIME AND HAVE BEEN IMPRESSED WITH YOUR ABILITY TO MOVE UP FROM 2/4 TO 3/6 AND NOW TO 5/10. THIS LAST POST CONCERNING YOUR BAD RUN COMPLETELY BAFFLES MY MIND. 3000? YOU PLAY SHORT HANDED 5/10 NO LIMIT HOLDEM! A THREE BUY IN SWING IS HARDLY ANYTHING TO GET SO SADDENDED BY. I KNOW THAT YOU PLAY AN EXTREMELLY NITTY GAME, NO OFFENSE, BUT IF THIS SMALL OF A LOSE AT 5/10 IS HURTING SO BAD I SUGGEST YOU STEP DOWN. ALSO, ARE YOU PROPERLY ROLLED FOR 5/10?

Unknown said...

Hi

I know $3.000 isn't much. I wrote in the entry that the amount of money doesn't really bother me.

$3.000 does not however properly reflect the severity of bad luck I have been having.
Some days I earn $1.000 or $2.000 through good play and loose equally as much to a bad beat. Other days I start by loosing a buy-in to a suckout and spend the rest of the day getting back to even.

To find how much this run of bad luck has cost me you have to find my true earnrate and add two weeks worth of that to the $3.000.

I might have given the wrong impression in the origional entry, I am not very sad or let down. Two weeks are not very long and $3.000 isn't that much.
I have had much worse runs than this in the past.

I just wan't to take a short break from blogging is all and I tried to explain the reason why. I see now I failed in that regard.

Anonymous said...

lol, three buy ins...